Tuesday, June 20, 2017

When someone dies

What do you do with your loved one's belongings when that person dies?

I remember when my Dad died my Mom gave me his red and blue striped bathrobe. I loved that bathrobe and it reminded me of all the things I loved about him. There was something about seeing my Dad in that robe that gave me a sense of safety, of love, of happiness. I can picture him now wearing it and his smile that made me feel special.
So when my gave me the robe, I hung it on a hook where I could see it every day. On very cold nights I would occasionally put it on just to feel his presence. But as more time went by I kept thinking this robe needs a better home. It is something my Dad wore daily and so there should be someone else who would honor it with daily wear.
Then I thought about my brother Adam who lives in Florida. He has an outdoor shower,which due to the heat in Florida, he uses daily. So when his birthday rolled around in August, I packed up the robe and shipped it off to him. I knew my brother would absolutely flip for this gift and I was right. He said it was the best present he could ever receive. I like thinking about him wearing this robe to and from that outdoor shower and how much my Dad would approve…way more than a towel wrapped around Adam's waist. I mean really what would the neighbors think!
So how about you? Are you keeping some one's clothes because they remind you of that loved one? Are they sitting unused in a box, a closet, a drawer? Think about someone who just might enjoy wearing those clothes.
For me, I know my Dad is happy to see my brother wearing his robe.

No comments:

Post a Comment