Thursday, January 14, 2010

Networking...ugh!

There I was driving to my NAPO meeting in the middle of rush hour traffic thinking I hate going out at night. What am I doing? Yeah, you can tell where this line of thinking was going...putting yourself out there to uncomfortable things is not always easy. My mind started to anticipate everything about the next two hours of my life - tacky hotel, meeting room with round tables, bad lighting, name tags, forced small talk, silly white elephant exchange, am I dressed appropriately, the list went on and on. I hate this.
I got there and yes the hotel, round tables, lights and small talk part sucked. We had a two minute timed round table discussion and when it was my turn, the woman across from me literally cut me off one minute in because she was concerned the last two people at the table wouldn't get a chance to speak. Funny thing was, as she was cutting me off she realised that what I was saying had value to the conversation but she was so concerned about timing that she abruptly interrupted! Then she wanted me to continue and it was all awkward and strange. Ahhh, the power of listening. Anyway, that yucky part aside the speaker, Eric Lofholm really spoke to me and what I am trying to do with my business. Eric is a sales trainer and his approach to growing my business is exactly the approach I want to take. I enjoyed his lecture so much so that I am attending his all day seminar in SF Feb. 24. I have an extra ticket so if you need to grow your business, join me. He really reminded me of the reason "why" I am a Professional Organizer.
I truly believe in the benefits of my service for the person who wants to get out from underneath their clutter and chaos. This is a life time value physically, emotionally and financially. Wow, that's good stuff.
Overall, I would say attending the meeting was a success. Will I join the local group...not right now. I am a member of the national organization and want to explore all of that first. Locally, I am just not ready for that round table discussion.
Here's my tip for today...
"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing. and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off of you."
Maya Angelou

1 comment:

  1. I thought Eric's presetation was excellent too.

    Keep up the great work on your blog!

    xo,
    cristin @ simplified bee

    ReplyDelete