Monday, January 30, 2012

aging

i am 46...turning 47.
one of the topics that seems to come up on a regular basis with my girlfriends is the impacts of aging...weight gain, wrinkles, grey hair, loss of eye sight, aches and pains. the list can go on and on. geesh, exhausting.
what is high on my list? vision. not being able to tell the difference between conditioner and shampoo sucks. i tried for a while to keep my eyeglasses in the bathroom but with the steam and the water that just doesn't work. i moved on to contacts. not a perfect solution...better, but not perfect. recently i was wearing my contact lenses in the shower and the water hit my eye and the contact fled behind my eye lid. seriously? yes. i'm done. so thanks to my husband's health plan i'm going to pursue the lasic surgery before the end of the year. it is a costly endeavor and the pre healthy savings account will only pay for part of it and i will have to fork up the rest of the cash but it will be worth it.
now the second battle is the fight against grey hair. i have lost and thrown in the white towel. as a person born with dark hair, i never had to fuss coloring which also meant i am an amateur to this entire industry. i detest it. i have done everything from coloring myself, having my friends color it to a variety of salons from the cheap walk in to the high end costly establishment. no more (at least that is what i am telling myself when i look in the mirror. recently i saw the acress/comedian roseann barr who has let her hair go grey. now you may have different opinions of her and most likely beauty icon is not one of them. but those highlights of grey have a glamorous feel and that is what this gal is going for. right now i do have a streak down my center part like a skunk so i am seem to be wearing hats on a a more frequent basis but i am optimistic to the final outcome.
take that aging. i am doing it on my turns and in my unique way.

No comments:

Post a Comment