Tuesday, January 24, 2012

cancer

cancer is such a scary word.
had my yearly mammogram, which led to an ultrasound test. i will give you my results first...cancer free. i know. phew. right?
but waiting in the waiting room with the other ladies in hospital gowns...it feels surreal. they have a little locker system where you pick your code for the lock. i knew that by the end of my appointment, i wouldn't be able to work the locks. i was right of course.
cancer is a scary trip. even just the thought of having it. i went down that road. i met a lady who had cancer in 2010. while i sat in the waiting room for my results the technician came out and literally gave her two thumbs up and said "I'll see you in six months".
cancer
cancer free
the difference of one word. amazing.
i then told her "wow, i bet many people are waiting to get this call from you". one word answer...YES. she walked out of that office with a lightness to her step.
then it was my turn. i had to have an extra step of an ultra sound. i of course tried to make the whole thing lighter by joking with the doctor. somehow i think if i keep the mood light that the answer will be good. so far, i am right. just a cyst. i could have it taken out but as one of my friends told me her doctor/father said...if something doesn't have to be done, well then don't do it. this is one thing that doesn't have to be done.
i walked out with a lightness in my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment