Tuesday, November 12, 2013

doing the right thing

on my way home from teaching yoga last night, i saw a messenger bag on the ground next to a car. for some reason i thought, huh, that does not look right. so i looped around and came back to the bag. there were no people around. the bag was on it side and slightly open. i got the bag and brought it back to my car. in it were many files - some looked like patient files. i was able to deduce the person's name and found a phone number. unfortunately that number was for ucsf medical center. by now i was thinking the owner's a doctor. so rather than standing in the dark trying to figure this out i put the bag in my car and headed home. when i got home i just went through the bag paper by paper and voila within 5 minutes i found a resume. score. this is what followed...
me: hi, is this victor long?
him:  (long pause) ahhhh, yes
me: hi victor. my name is andrea wait and i just found your bag.
him: oh my god, thank you so much (sounded like it was said through tears)
me: did you have a computer in the bag?
victor: yes
me: i am sorry but that is not there, just the charger and your files
victor: it doesn't matter. the papers are so much more important. thank you. thank you. thank you.

the thank yous went on for a good 5 minutes before we hung up and i texted him my address. within 10 minutes victor was at my door. his car had been broken into at best buy and his bag was stolen. yes, he is a doctor. he was super concerned because he has patient files in the bag as well as employment info on residents interviewing for a job. he told me that it would have not been good for him if that bag was not found. anyway, he was incredibly thankful - lots of hugs, thank your and i wish i could give you something gestures. for me that was unnecessary. i truly just enjoyed being able to help someone out.

it's fun to be the good samaritan.


No comments:

Post a Comment