Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sometimes I don't have to "Just do it!"!

This past month I have been working with a family to help them with their move from San Francisco to NY. This required measuring and photographing furniture, rugs and art work. It also required me to hire movers to move items locally and move unwanted items out of the house to be either disposed of to the dump or donated to charity. Typically this is not in my wheel house of professional organizing.
Yesterday morning I completed the move and for an hour after I left the client's house I seemed to do one dumb thing after another - couldn't find the receipt the movers gave me, couldn't figure out what to eat for breakfast and when I did I ended up not eating it. To say the least I was a scattered brain. I dismissed my erratic behaviors to exhaustion.
From there, I went to a single guy's recently purchased home to help him set up his new home - aesthetically pleasing to the eye and more importantly one that functions to his needs. While I was working in his office/library/music room I found myself singing out loud. Huh, why the change of mood? Technically I should be even more tired as I am climbing up and down shelves - reorganizing heavy books by color (client's request!). So what was happening? Light bulb on...I was doing what I am meant to do - organizing and creating a beautiful space. That is what I do.
I am not a mover. I am not a photographer. I am not a person who measures furniture. I am not a person who signs on to a job just because it has potential to make lots of money. When I compromise who I am and what I do, I am a scattered brain. I feel anxious, tired and irritable.
As I left the client's house in the morning I said to myself "I will never to a job like that again". When I left the guy's house in the afternoon, I said to myself "that was good". I could hear in my head the final words the client said. He told me "I couldn't have done this with out you. You have no idea how helpful you have been". Yep, that's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment