Thursday, February 16, 2012

no. 2 - start with the first thing you see

occasionally in life we come across a block that seems impossible to get through. but you know the other side will reap you many benefits. this definitely can happen with a cluttered space.

my very first clients were a successful couple living in sf.they hired to help with some accounting work and to occasionally babysit their pets. two of my favorite things...numbers and dogs. before long they asked if i would be willing to organize something in their home. well actually it wasn't in the home. it was the garage. i had never seen anything like it. when they opened the garage door my first thought was that confused me with oprah winfrey who could hire a team to declutter the space. nope it was just me. from top to bottom, front to back their was stuff! i went home in a panic. to say the space was full is an understatement. i had such a feeling of anxiety that i wasn't sure what i would or could do. my husband asked me..."how do you know where to start"? good question. and that was the first thing i thought went to take this project on. the answer...start with the first thing you see.

i reach my hand into the giant wall of goods and just grabbed the first thing i touched. and then i grabbed the next item and the next item and so on. days later after grabbing and sorting, i had reached the back of the garage!

don't let the fear of seeing all your stuff block you. as the the saying goes...every journey starts with the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment