Monday, October 15, 2012

support system

as the youngest of five, i took it upon myself that when ever i attempted to learn something new or was faced by a challenging situation i would handle it out on my own. now like any other family growing up i found there were a variety of pressures that i witnessed. as a result i decided early on that i didn't want to add to those stresses with my own little problems. i would take care of myself. i can still hear in my head my mother saying "sometimes people just want to help you out". that statement unfortunately was usually followed by an exchange of words that included anger and tears. that deepened the desire of mine to hide any problems i may have been struggling with. i perfected this pattern over the last 47 years of my life. slowly and i will say that again, slowly i have learned that this approach does not serve me nor the people who love me.
having been in the process over attempting to launch two business - and yes mostly i have done this on my own - i have that every now and again i get hit hard with a variety of challenges and need help. from my husband and my two friends rebecca and samantha i have gotten practical advice (setting up websites, advertising) to emotional support (no andrea you are not a loser) which has been key for my moving forward. i am sure i will continue to "do it on my own" but i am grateful to them when i need to be picked up and set back on my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment