Wednesday, August 17, 2011

hate to be a pain but can i have...

before i became a vegetarian, i kind of prided myself that i can eat anything. part of it was that i never wanted to inconvenience anyone. maybe that has to do with being the youngest in the family. i just never wanted to rock the boat. but then i decided i liked animals too much to want to eat them. some people had reactions that were not completely positive. they told me they didn't like the change. so again, i tried to always make sure that my non-meat eating ways didn't bother anyone. in fact, in new eating situations, i often wouldn't say that i was a vegetarian. well now with my experiment, it can not be avoided...i am high maintenance when it comes to food. john and i went to our friends for dinner and i had to fess up in advance all of my food restrictions. i felt embarrassed. i felt uncomfortable. i even apologized. to my surprise, they were so kind and the chef said he liked the challenge. fortunately, i eat seafood so that was the base of the meal.
i am amazed by the people who can just put their needs out to the world. no worries of what people will think. i am slowly learning how to do that. it took me to the age of 46 to figure that out. of course, i occasionally have a set back when met by someone who points out my "food needs" but i am learning to smile and not feel the need to react.
alright i think i am beginning to see some results from this experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment